5 Things You Need to Know
School board meets today to adopt preliminary budget.
- The school board will meet in the high school library, 401 Kings Highway East, tonight at 7:30 p.m. in a special meeting to adopt a preliminary budget. The board is considering an overall increase of 2 percent. A 2-percent increase will mean a typical family with a home valued at the borough average of $491,000 will pay an additional $140 in school taxes annually. The typical family pays about $7,000 annually in school taxes with the current tax rate of $1.42 per $100 of assessed property value. The 2-percent increase is the maximum allowed by state government.
- The Bancroft redevelopment planners have a week of meetings scheduled with community stakeholders, starting Tuesday at 4 p.m. at the municipal hall auditorium. Another meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the high school auditorium; Wednesday 7 p.m. at the municipal hall, Thursday at 7 p.m. at municipal hall; March 7 at 7 p.m. at the municipal hall. For more information, please see bancroftredevelopment.com.
- There could be an additional item on the ballot for the April 27 school budget referendum. The Borough Commissioners have approved the printing of mail-in ballots for a referendum to allow the borough to increase its budget above the 2-percent cap imposed by the state. The commissioners said the action does not mean they will ask to exceed the tax ceiling but caution that if they stay within the 2-percent cap, some borough services will be cut.
- Police are urging residents to lock the doors of their cars and homes to deter a “rash” of burglaries.
- State individual wrestling championships start Friday in Atlantic City. Five Haddonfield Memorial High School wrestlers are in the competition. Look to Haddonfield Patch for complete coverage throughout the weekend. Follow us at Twitter.com/Hadpatch and at Facebook.com/HaddonfieldPatch