Welcome back, Patch Blogger!
Lost Haddonfield: About Town
The past comes alive in pictures.
"St. John’s Military Academy dormitories were on the south side of Lakeview Avenue at Centre Street," according to Katherine M. Tassini, of the Historical Society of Haddonfield. "Rev. Theophillus Maxwell Reilly and Rev. William Maxwell Reilly, Episcopal clergymen who had operated schools in Burlington and Camden, purchased the 1682 Mountwell house of Francis Collins and about 110 acres adjacent to Haddonfield in 1870. Originally they used Mountwell as the headquarters building for the school until it burned in April 1872. Over the years they had other buildings on the property that were used by the school. In 1907 the schools closed following the death of Theophilus Reilly. The land which was supposed to be called “Maxwellton Park” was developed for residential use and the dormitories became private residences."
These pictures are from the archives of the Historical Society of Haddonfield.
, historical pictures
, and vintage pictures