In 1746, Ebenezer Hopkins purchased the land on which the home now known as Birdwood stands on Hopkins Lane in Haddonfield, according to Cliff Brunker of the Historical Society of Haddonfield.
In 1778 Ebenezer's son, John Estaugh Hopkins, built a gristmill on the property at Cooper's Creek. John's son, William Estaugh Hopkins, built the present house for his bride, Ann Morgan, in 1794. She named it "Birdwood."
These photos are from the archives of the Historical Society of Haddonfield.